“If you want to get things you can’t buy in a store, you have to do things never thought of before.” -- Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Numerous Stars

Some of you may remember that I won the bag from Junk Revolution back in March. This was my first purchase when I went our to a local flea market. Yardsticks, frame and clock face! I still need to find something to do with the clock. In this post I'll show you what I did with the Yard sticks and the other ones my dad gave me. In a later post, the frame.



Stars

I saw these stars somewhere on a blog before I started this blog, When I was ready to make one I couldn't find it, so I figured it out on my own.

First, you need 5 yardsticks, I drilled holes in the end, one of the yardsticks had a hole in it so I just drilled all the holes at the same space, about 1/2 inch from the end. Then you need to arrange them into the star shape, then you'll need to weave one end over and one end under the next one. Then get some wire and twist and curl or however you want to do, it is fun and fast project. The smaller one was made out of some yardsticks that were damaged, so I cut them off, at the same length. Since I made these I found another way to use the damaged ones that are cut at different lengths, I will make another post about that later.
Close-up of the end, with wire and hole.
Also, I forgot I glue the sections of the stars where they meet, so they don't move.

9 comments:

  1. Not sure if it was me or not, but I posted this project in December on JunkMarket. At the time I thought it was an original idea, but sometimes multiple people have the same
    "original" idea. Anyway you did a great job on yours. They certainly are fun and easy, and easy to hang! I'm out of yardsticks but have some snow fencing and even some 6' stockade fencing with very narrow boards. The stars would be gigantic! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see those stars across a house or barn, covered with lights, for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *heart* your stars! How cool! Thanks for stopping by my blog for the junk party. I love your blog! In other words, you are more creative than I and I'll no doubt "borrow" some of your ideas at some point. ;-) Have a good day!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Midge, I think it was on Junkmarket style, I am not a member there but I do like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great star project!! Love all the colors of the yardsticks. I collect them as well, but all of mine are white or wood. Another thing to look for while sale-ing. I think Margo had a neat star made out of a carpenter's folding ruler...have to check her archives for that...I found 2 of those last month. Have a great week *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these stars so much, especially since you used colored ones. Have you ever seen stars made from the folding measuring sticks? I'd love to make one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have a star I made from the folding rulers, I will post that soon, Also a photo stand that Ki made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. stop. the. world. I am getting a post together on yard sticks and projects to do with them as I have been LOVING my collection and collecting of them! This is great...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

01 09 10